Monday, October 5, 2009

Thanks for Noticing

A little over a week ago, in one of my posts, I mentioned that our puppy Pepper tinkled on our forbidden living room carpet. Well, okay, EVERY carpet is forbidden. But our living room is exceptionally forbidden. We are not allowed to play in there, let alone deposit anything starting with the word "number".

Later in the week, my brazen Pepper completely lost her marbles and defiled the SAME spot in the SAME room with the SAME infraction. I decided my conniption fit from the last deposit must not have been dramatic and/or scary enough to get it through her doggie brain that my living room is not her personal latrine. So, I upped the ante. I lost MY marbles. I mean, I hit the fan. I used a few choice "hot sauce" words while carrying her leaky faucet intently toward the door. I threw her out , slammed the door on her furry bum, then proceeded to rant and rave. I was so blinded by my hysteria that I hadn't seen Chase. He stood stunned and horrified. I continued my blubbering, however. Soon, he was found sitting at the back door with his nose pressed on the glass, "rubbing" noses with the little criminal on the other side. I heard him quietly betraying me by tearfully whispering,

"I don't want you to freeze to death, Pepper. Please don't freeze to death, Pepper."

My sister, Heather, became the next innocent victim of my rantings and ravings when she accidentily called on the phone. Bless her heart. After she got over the shock of her insane sister's ability to let loose, she nervously asked if it was okay to laugh. I told her to go ahead, but not to be expecting me to be joining her anytime soon. That lasted for about 2 more minutes. I joined her.

We eventually did let Pepper back in. Chase and I made a pact to hit this challenge head on. We were going to be Pepper's personal potty coaches. He did make me promise, though, to never do that again. My hissy fit apparently had a pretty big impact on him. While playing in the sandbox, I heard him tell his friends that if Pepper ever pees on the carpet again, his mom is giving her away.

We laid out our plan of attack and went to work. Chase and I have been diligent. She is a quick study (we think). Late this afternoon, she completely impressed Chase and me. She got up from her assigned spot in our laundry room and went and stood at the door. Chase and I were elated! She was asking to use the potty! A breakthrough! We excitedly opened the door, all the while gushing over her achievement. As she began her descent out the door, she was hit in the face with cold and pelting sleet. She tucked her tail between her legs, threw herself into reverse, and promptly started to pee at the edge of the carpet. I then helped her "take" herself outside. I threw a very mini hissy...only to remind Pepper of the unacceptable choice of sprinkle spots...and calmly went back to Chase's homework.

Tonight, Chase and I were having a chat in his bed at bedtime. I asked him what his favorite part of the day was. He offered several great choices. To extend the conversation time, Chase volunteered his least favorite part of the day as well. My reaction to Pepper's potty caper was so understated that I had actually forgotten about it. I only remembered because Chase had chosen that as his least favorite activity of the day. He very quickly remembered to reward my good behavior by stating,

"You did REALLY good today, Mom! I am so proud of you!"

I think he went a tad bit too far when the compliment was accompanied with a scratch and a pat on my head.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

You are so FUNNY!! I love reading your posts! I think Kaysen would love a puppy, but I can't even figure out how to potty train that little guy--how in the world would I train a puppy??

Danielle said...

The biggest difference between a boy and a puppy being potty trained is that with a boy, you wait until they are old enough, showing signs of being ready enough, all the while being patient and kind enough. You don't have to be so, with a puppy. You force them to be ready when YOU are ready, shouting and hollering to get your point across. And, it's almost guilt free! Almost.

Boy! The animal activitst are having a conniption of their own right now!

Birgitta said...

I don't know how you are doing it. NO THANKS! I can't stand it when MY children vomit or pee on the carpets. AHHHHHH!

I love that chase patted your head...that's awesome.

Lea Ann said...

I love it when kids remind us of our short comings. I don't envy you of the dog and potty training. I am still dragging my feet on training Van. But I think I prefer my problem over yours.

Kathy’s Korner said...

You make me laugh!

hennchix said...

Just a tip- Get a dog crate, and keep her in it most of the time. When you let her out, immediatele take her outside. Then, after she has provided the desired behaviour, give lots of praise, and bring her in to play and interact. Never leave her without active supervision. Before it is time to go back in the crate- back outside. They really respond to kudos, not so much to negatives. Esp. with puppies, they tend to just get confused and scared when we have the meltdown, and totally forget what they did. So it is hard for them to learn what is desired vs. undesired.