Friday, October 30, 2009

The Busy, The Wounded, The Pansy

When one gets caught up in fevers, medications, naps, nose blowing, coughs, burn wrapping and other fun pooh, one tends to forget the fun stuff. Here it is, almost Halloween, and we have to start celebrating in hyper drive!

On Sunday, I mapped out a fun week of all things Autumn and all things Halloween that are fun must-do's for kiddles. We had some serious ground to make up since we were waylayed with burned hands last week. Then, BLAM. Chase gets a viral throat infection. Seriously? Who were we even around, anyway?! I am prone to think that sickness for this squirt was eminent since we weren't able to wash his hands for a week. But, let's be honest here. It's because he's a boy. And, let's face it. Most boys, if they could, would have their fingers permanently attached...up their noses. After almost two weeks of missed school, the comforting Mom is quickly slipping away. Fever-schmever. You're going to school! Kidding. Kinda.

So, anyway, for FHE on Monday, the one day of freedom we were allowed from the infirmary, we managed to get in a round of mini golf while the place was still decked out in Halloween garb. That was only the first thing on our list. I am thinking we will visit the corn maze next year. Sigh.



We had to adapt our list to accommodate Halloweenie activites that could be accomplished at home, since this has become our lot. Another sigh. With Jeff having scouts coming here last night, Chase wrapped in gauze, and Mom not being a big pumpkin gut toucher or smeller (hence the post title), the chances of us getting a Jack-O-Lantern to adorn our doorstep were slowly fading away. For Chase's sake, I sucked it up. He and I went for it, by ourselves, sans power tools.

I do have to say, that the thought crossed my mind that if we ended up in the ER with wounds caused by this ritual, I was checking myself into the nearest institution. Jeff completely agreed to be the one to drive me there.





Luckily, Jack was completed without incident. Editor's note. Chase DID start out standing on a stool.



My favorite part of this Contemporary work of art? Chase designed the face. I gave him a sharpie and this is what he created. I am pretty sure this is my favorite Jack-O-Lantern ever.

Just so you know, I did have Jeff take pictures of Chase and I together. Wanna venture a guess as to what happens when you add one part man-has-never-used-a-camera with the fact that it was dark so you couldn't see where you were aiming, mixed in with him holding the leash of a frozen hyper puppy who is wrapping herself insanely around the wanna-be photographer's legs?
Maybe next time. Maybe next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get feeling better Chase... Love your pumpkin! You guys have a Happy Halloween!

Kathy’s Korner said...

"That's about a 9 on the tension scale"

Jessica said...

Wow, you have been through the ringer of sickness and injuries! I a so happy to get my computer back and get caught up in my little world! Happy Halloween, and maybe we will see you trick or treating!

Leslie said...

Nice pumpkin, Chase! I miss my little class already!