Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Hearts of the Children

Last week, Chase and I went on an adventure to a little town about 25 minutes from here. The whole purpose of our trip was to visit a little cemetery in Willard to find the headstone of my great-great-great grandfather George Welton Ward. We planned a fun day of genealogy, autumn fruit stands, and the ever-popular McDonald's lunch for the car ride home.

We had such a good day together. At our first stop, we scored some precious last-of-the-season tomatoes and a cherry sucker from the sucker-for-cute-little-boys-with-moppy-long-hair at a produce stand. Next, we visited the very tiny pioneer cemetery with only 6 headstones, due to the 1923 flood in that area. One of the headstones was for my g-g-g grandfather's first wife, Ann Trulock. We drove to the current Willard cemetery and drove right to the headstones of my g-g-g grandparents George Welton and Mary Hankinson Ward. Their headstones were so close to us, we could have rolled down the windows in the car and come close to touching them. We were both pretty thrilled.

What thrills me, even more then finding these headstones, is the fact that my son loves to do this with me. He has accompanied me to many a cemetery since he was two. I have fabulous pictures of this boy on headstone hunts. We have started a fun tradition in the Hyrum cemetery for Memorial weekend, placing silk flowers on the near two dozen headstones of our ancestors there. He is learning, at a young age, the importance of family history, binding families together, the legacy we inherit, and the importance of the name he bears. I feel incredibly lucky to be living smack dab in the roots of so many our ancestors.



Pioneer Cemetery, with Ann Trulock's headstone in the right background.

George Welton Ward, with my cute ward

Our fabulous Phippen find in July, with Gpa and Clark...Gma being photographer

These genealogy field trips have sparked some cherished conversations between Chase and I. On the way home from our adventure, Chase was completely obsessed with the flood of 1923. If you know Chase pretty well, you will understand this obsession (Hmm, I may need to post
THAT story some time). I lost count of how many questions I had to field on this subject I know absolutely nothing about.

As we feasted on french-fries in the canyon, we were talking about all of the family history books that I have and what they mean to me. I told Chase that these books will be important to him someday, too. I mentioned to him that we will pass them down to him so that he will get to know and love these names as much as I do. This is how our conversation went:

"Then, Chase, when you are done with them, you will pass them down to your children, so they can enjoy them."

"But, Mom, remember, I am living with you and Dad forever. I am not having any children. When I am done with them, I will pass them down to...Casey. I think HE will enjoy them."

Casey is his friend...across the street...of no relation. After a giggle-snort and a quick explanation, we had it all ironed out. Hey, no great work of art was completed in one afternoon. Line upon line, we will get there. Until then, I will work on this masterpiece, one "Lego" at a time, and watch this fabulous giant take shape before my eyes!

Thanks for a day to remember, Chase!

4 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

Great post. I have to say the headstones look right in place with your blog back ground! Thanks for keeping these ancestors alive.

Heather said...

That is so neat that you two get to have these dates. What great lessons you are teaching him. And as always Chase is just the cutest. He loves you guys so much!

symony said...

that is so sweet!

Birgitta said...

Good for you! Chase is getting a head start on genealogy! your a good mom!