Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sympathy Pains

My thigh muscles are so sore right now. We're talking, OWEEEEE! I have no control over my leg muscles and am prone to spastic flailing as my noodle-legs buckle underneath me. Descending stairs, trying to sit on a toilet, and basically anything else, is quite painful...if not quite hilarious, embarrassing, and loud.

To assist me further in my muscle toning and prolonging the agony of sore and seizing muscles, I have bought a resistance cord. Chase has fallen in love with it. All of a sudden he has become so obsessed with doing his "exercises". He stands on the cord and pulls the handles up so hard that his little face turns red, along with an occasional squeaker that eeks out due to the excessive squeezing. I lost count of how many times my little manly-man returned back to his "exercises" yesterday. This has all come at a price, however.

This morning, Chase woke up a little concerned. He came in and told me that something was wrong with his arms. They "really hurt right here", pointing to his bicep region. Ahhh...I sighed. My baby has his first sore muscles! Then I thought...can they do that? I didn't know that the Energizer Bunny was capable of pulling something that wasn't really there to begin with. But, nonetheless, Chase had sore ones this morning. He asked me when the hurt was going to go away. I tenderly and sympathetically told him that they will start feeling better in the next few days.

I over-heard a little bit of a conversation that Chase had with his friend at church today. I heard my little Hans say to Franz, "Dude, don't touch my arm there. I have sore muscles from my exercises yesterday."

After church, Chase and I sat at the kitchen island and played "Office". This is an activity we do when Mom has a lot of choir stuff to get ready for choir practice on Sunday afternoons. He sat on one side while I sat across from him on the other side. There was an awful lot of moaning and groaning coming from the two of us. We were quite a pair, with our over-extended physique.

We have an old phone set that we use to authenticate our setting as an "office". We used the phones for many reasons today. Mom asked to borrow the stapler from her boss, and asked permission to head to the "supply room" to get some tape. She even called once to remind her boss that Skittles were being served as refreshments in the break room. The boss called a few times to invite Mom to the break room to join him in eating the refreshments, and could he please get his stapler back.

The best phone call of all came when Chase called and asked me a question.

"Um, I was just wondering when the "feeling better" was going to start feeling better? My arms HURT!"

I must have given a good answer. My sore employer told me a little later that I will never get fired...'cause I am the bestest Mommy in the whole world.

Suffering seems so much easier when you have someone to suffer with.

2 comments:

Birgitta said...

cute story! Very creative office play! I can just imagine the two of you.

Kathy’s Korner said...

You have a great set up there!