Monday, October 12, 2009

Child Psychology Misfire

You know, it's a sad day when all of the psycho-babble and manipulating double-talk that we rely on as a parent, fails to work. We work so hard to perfect this that it seems unfair our children get smart so quickly and catch on to what we are doing.

Last week, Chase was a homework-lovin', pencil-totin' whiz kid. He came home last Monday with his homework folder and asked if it was okay if he did it ALL in ONE day. He was a MACHINE. No fire-poker needed to jump start that kindergartner. This week, thanks to the wide-swinging pendulum that resides in the mood-setting part of 5-year old brains, we are back to teeth-pulling, cattle-prodding and a generous helping of you-want-some-cheese-with-that-whine.

Thankfully, being the fabulous mother that I am, I am fully trained and ready for such occasions. I start with psychology.

"Chase, remember that sweet boy who did his homework here last week? You know, that boy who loved his homework so much that he wanted to do it all in one day? What happened to THAT boy? Where did HE go?"

Chase turned to look at me with those big, beautiful brown eyes. He leaned in closer to my face, and said, with great intention,

"He went to town...'cause he already DID his HOMEWORK!"

Kirk and Heather, I am soooo excited for you two to get to enroll in this amazing institution called parenthood. You are going to be fabulous!! In just a few more months, you, too, will be purchasing your own life-time pass to this amusement park, full of never ending roller coaster rides and fast-talking carnies. We welcome you, whole-heartedly, TO THE CLUB!

3 comments:

Birgitta said...

Funny Kid! It's a good thing I'm going to help you turn this into a book. The stuff he says is priceless! :)

Lea Ann said...

The problem is that we educate our children. And we are doing it sooner so they catch on so much quicker. But we can't stop it. As much as I try to keep my kids ignorant they still learn and are closing the gap of me knowing more than they do. I don't remember learning these finer points of psychology this young.

Kathy’s Korner said...

That is one funny boy. He went to town!