Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Worth of a Puppy


We have fallen in love with German Shorthair dogs. Our neighbors had one that I was in love with, who has since died. I shed tears, REAL tears, for a week after he died. I have really missed him. Before Hunter died, however, our neighbors had brought home another German Shorthair puppy, a girl this time. I have since fallen in love with her, as well. She had puppies while we were in Nauvoo. They are the CUTEST puppies known to man. Jeff is holding firm to the "No Pets" rule (a rule which I actually agree with, but have more fun making him look like the bad guy) and is staying out of the vortex of cuteness that seems to suck you in and make you lose all will power.
Our neighbor is relentless, however. He has even "picked" ours for us. She is mellow and adorable, two must have's. He knocked on our door last week, during Family Home Evening, holding "our" puppy. I, course, immediatly break form and turn into a puddle, spewing inaudible baby talk while letting her lick my face. Chase jumps on my lap and begins doing the same thing. We are wimps against the power of this puppy.
Chase starts his round of begging, again, in hopes of wearing down his Pa. In my quick attempt to stand united with my husband, but forgetting that I am under the spell of this puppy, incapable of saying anything rational and mature, I blurt,
"You know, Chase, this puppy costs a lot of money. You would have to empty your whole mission account, and then some, to be able to buy her."
Did I mention that I wasn't thinking clearly? The gravity and stupidity of what I said hit me when Chase, who had disappeared a few minutes earlier, came around the corner with his mission jar. He very quietly and a little hesitantly said,
"Okay, I'll trade my mission money for the puppy."
Gulp. Uh, well, I, you, we, uh, that is, duh, um....Neighbor, you gotta go! We're having the Extended Version of Family Home Evening tonight! Mom's gotta eat her words and we have some s'plaining to do!
Needless to say, Chase now has two jars. One full one, for his mission, and one empty one...for a puppy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is the cutest boy ever. I love German Shorthair puppies. We have one she is the best dog ever! You should get one ha ha!!!

Kristi said...

That is a tough one! We are not planning on any pets either, but when one is plopped in your lap it is hard to resist. Plus, when you see the boy and his dog... nearly impossible!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Ahh....how can Jeff resist that face?????

Birgitta said...

That is awesome Danielle! You really are hilarious! Poor little Chase! How can you resist trading his mission for a puppy?

Kathy’s Korner said...

Then again, who needs to own a puppy when the neighbor has just exactly what you like and you can pet it and play with it any time and not have to feed it and bath it? Shouldn't cleaning up it's poop count for some share of ownership?

Danielle said...

That's what we are thinking, Mom! We love the mom, play with the mom, and clean up her poop that smells up our side yard. We think that is good enough!! (Jeff and I, that is!)