Wednesday, August 26, 2009






Well, it has begun. School has started. We are now ranked among the masses who use the crossing guard. We have been stopping for this crossing guard for a couple of years. Unbeknownst to Chase, I have been dreading the use of this crossing guard, along with every other little thing that means he is in school...since the day he was born. When I mentioned this to Chase, he said,

"How can you be so sad about me going to school? I am so excited!"
I was lamenting kindergarten to a friend of my, several days ago. She could only belly laugh at how ridiculous I was sounding. She said that she had heard of mothers like me, but hadn't been one herself. I, uh, mmmm, well, ya, and, uh...I seem to have no reponse to that.


Much to my happiness, I handled yesterday like an old pro. I was nearly hyperventilating as we walked to school. The closer we got, the more my legs turned to Jell-o. Jeff showed up, just as we got to the crossing guard. A little symbolic?
Once we got there, I was fine. Chase crossed the threshold of his room and was gone. He didn't need any introduction or excuse to dive head first. He had arrived! I walked out of the school like I had been doing this for years. Until I hit the end of the sidewalk. It hit me that I had been distracted by talking to the teacher and other parents, AND I FORGOT TO KISS HIM GOODBYE! He was so busy being involved that we didn't even say goodbye to him. Jeff tried to convince me it was not a big deal and I would just make a scene. Knowing that I would somehow put a scar on today, a scar that could never be removed, I went running back in to the school. Chase threw his arms around me and told me he loved me. I gave him a big fat kiss, told him I loved him, too , and wished him the happiest first day of school ever. There. I felt better. I know. Drama. Just tell me where to pick up my crown for Drama Queen.
Just to remind everyone that this day really was about Chase, and not his mother, Chase did have a fabulous day. He loves kindergarten. He told me that his teacher is "the nicest girl in the whole wide world." He suffers from the same affliction that I do, however. I have recently been diagnosed with "spontaneous disclosure". We are now seeing that it is hereditary. Chase told the girl cutting his hair that his teacher was not the one that he requested, but he likes her anyway. He just hopes that she doesn't give him hard homework.
Oh, if this excitement could continue until the 12th grade. Won't Chase be devastated when he finds out there is no recess in high school. We will keep that a secret for now.

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Are you kidding? The first day of school is TOTALLY about the mother. You did the right thing by rushing in and kissing him goodbye.

I'm anxious about Jackson's first day of school, too. He has an hour bus ride either way and I don't know if I'm going to be able to "let go."

By the way, and no offense, Chase's teacher looks like she is 12 years old. She's cute. Too bad she's not the one Chase requested. :)

Danielle said...

She does look young, doesn't she? It's her first year...we'll see!

I am soooooooo scared for you for Jackson's first day of school! I was actually thinking of you yesterday wondering if you had made it through. I will pray for you!! The bus ride would give me palpitations. Not helping, right?

Woodstock Family said...

Yeah, um, I don't relate to the "not being able to let go" syndrome! but, I'm proud of you for not crying! Way to go! Just wait, Chase is going to be talking about school even when he gets home from school, and it's the best thing in the world knowing that your children are so excited for what the world has to offer, even if they are just in the first year of school! I love watching my kids grow and become more independent! Kid free for half a day, what in the world are you going to do with yourself? The scarry thing is, you'll probably find lots of stuff you want to do, plan on doing it all, and never get anything done; at least that's how I am!

Sarah Rowley said...

Yep. You are definately a spaz.

Birgitta said...

I did not shed one tear today! Actually, Alaina asked me, "mom are you going to stay?" What she meant was "mom go home." She didn't shed a tear either!

Kirk & Heather said...

Oh poor you Danielle! Sorry for the dramatic/traumatic day. He looks absolutely adorable in his little outfit and his teacher looks like she's ready to get her butt kicked! :) kidding.

I'm glad you got to go back and give him a big hug, and even more glad that he was willing to come and give you one.

Poor Birgitta... that made me totally crack up about Lainer. See ya!!

Kimberley said...

I was so glad that London didn't freak out when I left her, her first day that I left and breathed a sigh of relief only to tear up when I saw her and her classmates follow the teacher to parent pick-up like litte ducklings with their backpacks on carrying their first art project at the end of the day. Next Wednesday she starts her freshman year in HS and I'm hoping I don't bawl all the way home from dropping her off there.

Bastian's said...

Danielle....i can totally relate! it's hard sending them to school. and it is totally hard for the mom! he is adorable, such a sweet kid. And I would have FOR SURE ran back in to give him hugs and kisses. Your a great Mom!