Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Big Fish

Chase took his first ever swimming lessons that finished last week. I have to admit, I almost felt a little obligated to put him in these lessons. I felt like I was inflicting some sort of abuse on Chase by having him be the only child on the planet who had not taken swimming lessons at least once by the age of five. When I told Chase that he was going to get to have lessons, he acted like THAT was the abuse he was meant to take.

But, alas, after his first lesson, he skipped out to the car holding my hand, praising me for the smarts to sign him up for "such fun" lessons.

I had a bit of a gripe with where they had to place him. He has never had formal lessons before, but he was born with gills, as his mother was. But, since these were his first lessons, they put him in a preschool class. His teacher said that she kept forgetting that he was only five, saying that "he is quite mature for his age". I was thinking that maybe it was because he was such an excellent swimmer. Let's be honest. I think it's because when standing in the water with his classmates, while they bob to stay above the water, Chase stands exposed to nearly his navel.

Anyway, Chase has now graduated from the preschool level (humph) and has now been given permission to move up a level. Maybe in the "real" lessons, they will call the "windmill", the crawl stroke. As a former swimming teacher, that kind of rubbed me raw. After a particular lesson, Chase came back calling it the crawl stroke. I was excited that the teacher was finally calling it by the right name. Chase said that she was still saying it wrong...but he had tried to correct her. Gulp. Sorry. As I said, he is my son.













4 comments:

Lea Ann said...

I agree. They should teach them the right name for the stroke. I am glad the boys instructor did.

Unknown said...

This was the first year I put Ethan in lessons and he is 7. We did private lessons though and the lady was really great with him. He and Blake, my 4 year old, were on the same level. If I were you, I would just stick to teaching him yourself since you have the experience and all. (That's just my personal opinion though.)

Kathy’s Korner said...

I think that it is neat that he has swimming lessons, of course you can teach him better, but how fun it is for him to go a be with other kids, it will be fun for him to progress through the levels. Sometimes our kids skipped levels when the teacheer could see that they knew the stuff. Anyhoo, who could be a better teacher than you? cut the poor teacher some slack! hehehe

Birgitta said...

My kids haven't had swimming lessons yet...oh well.

I love that picture of him standing next to the other students. HE TOWERS over them! Great post!