Thursday, May 28, 2009

Adios, Senor Froggie

Chase "won" this African Dwarf Spotted Frog last summer at our 24th of July festivites in Logan. We were told that they live only for about six months. We had very little expectations of this pet. We were just satisfied to wake up every morning to see him moving.

Chase really went out on a limb for this one and named him Froggie. Yeah, a stretch. I know.


Well, the night before Mother's Day, I went into the kitchen late at night and peeked in the bowl while I was in there. Froggie was bottoms up at the bottom of the tank. I was surprised at how sad I was. So, the next morning, I placed both of my hands firmly on Chase's shoulders and told him the news. Chase took it like a champ. He was glad that Froggie got to see Jesus and then asked if he could go see Froggie in the bowl. Well, I'll be jiggered, the dang thing was right side up! I was both mystified and completely grossed out. Nice, Mom. Tell your son their pet is dead...and he's not. We moved the tank to see if he was alive and he made the most odd sort of movement. Nope, not dead. But he was acting like he wanted to be! So, I did some more research on this type of frog. Apparently, they are to have a 5 year life span. I went from feeling like African Dwarf Frog caretaker of the year, to feeling like a frog abuser. I thought that I was in line to win some award because our frog had lived for 10 months, instead of six. Not even close!
He would not swim, eat, move...nothing. He just laid on the bottom of the bowl, alternating between right side up and upside down. None of my research could come up with anything to explain what was going on. So, after watching this poor frog suffer for two more days, I couldn't take it anymore. Jeff and I had to exercise some frog-en-asia. We held a toilet-side service, paid our respects, and flushed him down. Sigh. Definitely not winning any awards for that one.
My apologies to all of you animal lovers and frog experts out there. I just couldn't watch it suffer anymore. I think that we will be demoting ourselves. Chase's stuffed dog seems to be the perfect pet.
Oh, and one more reason I won't be winning any awards. Froggie is really a girl. I found that out during my research when we first got Froggie. Chase was having a hard time wrapping his brain around the fact that he had a girl pet, so I dropped it. Maybe Froggie died of a broken heart.

4 comments:

Birgitta said...

oh, I'm so sorry to hear about froggie.

BTW, I love your writing style!

I felt just as sad about the two fishies we had. They didn't last very long at all. After they died i put the bowl and fishie food away. I wasn't going to do it again.

Kimberly said...

That is a bummer! He was a good pet. That is surprising how he survived so long. I'm sorry for your loss Chase! :(

Danielle said...

Thanks, Girbitta. I am sorry to hear about your fishes! I was wondering how they were fairing.

Kathy’s Korner said...

I can't stop laughing. You are such a funny writer, you should start a column. "Life with a 5 year old". I know I should be sad that "froggie" died, but his death brought so much laughter that I can't mourn the little darling. I was never attached anyway. I will have to tell all my friest to read this post. I really laughed (maybe I needed some comic relieve!).