Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reality Check

Just so you don't think my son a perfect angel, spilling niceties, with loves and kisses at me all the time, let me tell you what he said the other day. Oh, don't get me wrong. He is pretty sweet. He makes his adoration for his mom known frequently. Children are prone to innocent honesty. This comment, however, stopped me dead in my tracks;

"Mom, do you think your tummy is so fat that you probably can't even see your toes? Can you see your toes, Mom?"

Can you see your next birthday coming up, bub? Did you see it vanish right before your eyes? Gone, I tell ya. No birthday for you this year.

And for your information, Mr. Missing-His-6th-Birthday-This-Year, not only can I see my toes, but I can touch them. I removed my toe nail polish, then clipped and filed them. Oh, it wasn't pretty, mind you. I pulled muscles found only by body builders, and gave myself a charlie horse that hurt something fierce. I am pretty sure I was close to passing out due to oxygen deprivation, since I was finding it hard to breath and bend at the same time. And, I am sure the noises coming out of my bathroom window rivaled all sounds that have led to a phone call to 9-1-1. But, I did it. I pedicured my supposedly out-of-sight, and nearly out-of-reach toenails. It wasn't all to prove to my innocently precocious 5 year old that I could. But just a bit.

It all ended alright, however. Today, Chase wrote my fresh toenails and I, a very cute "I Love You", complete with a heart that he drew. I am even thinking of reinstating his birthday. We will have to wait and see if he decides to get "honest" with me again.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

You are so funny! I've been getting lots of "reality checks" from my kids lately. The one good thing is that it's just a matter of fact to them like any other observation. ooh, ouch though, it can sting. :)

Kathy’s Korner said...

Oh yes, you are funny!!!!! That is a great post. Glad you can do your toes, as well as see them! Kids do say the darnest things and it is all innocent! :)

Melanie said...

Oh, Danielle, thanks for the laugh. I've been wallowing in self-pity and I needed your pick-me-up blog post. I'm sure it wasn't ha-ha funny for you, but thanks for sharing it anyway.

Lea Ann said...

That is funny. I love that you tell it so we can all picture you in your bathroom struggling. My boys sweetly snuggle up to me, sniff, and ask if I have showered yet. I didn't think I stunk that bad. But I do feel a little better that they even do that when I am sitting there with my hair wet after showering. They are so perceptive.

Leslie said...

That is sooo funny! Sorry, I was blog hopping and found your blog. Your posts make me laugh--thanks!
(our blog is private, but if you would like an invite, send me your email to lp23j@yahoo.com)

Leslie Perry