Sunday, September 13, 2009

Inflation Hits the Tooth Fairy









This is supposed to be a before and after set of pictures. Chase's tooth was so loose that it was "leaning" over into his other tooth. It left a gap big enough that they both look like after pictures. Bleck!!
I have been bracing for this since he popped his first tooth at 6.5 months. I can do blood, poop, guts and bones, spit up and barf (from my own son, of course...if it was your child, you would get a more adverse reaction). But for some reason, wiggly-waggly teeth turns my knees to jello. As a teacher, I had many a kindergartener, 1st grader and 2nd grader come excitedly up to me, shout a "guess what", then proceed to move around a dangling tooth with their tongue. Shudder. Shudder. It would seriously cause a ripple of the willies up and down my spine. Eeeewwweeuuu.


Chase's first loose tooth first came loose way back in May. Fate has been kind. I have had all of these months to gird my loins and buck up. Last Friday, neither one of us could take it any more. I convinced myself that if there was a thick layer of something between myself and the tooth, it would be less painful...for both of us. So, I grabbed a huge wad of toilet paper, reached in and made a half-hearted attempt. Take two went better...and out it came. Not one tear fell! Chase handled it really well also.


The obvious reward is a visit from the Tooth Fairy. I have always wanted to be a totally grounded mother who believed that since I got a quarter as a child, my child should get a quarter. Didn't happen. The T.F ended up being pretty generous. After all, she is helping to "pay" for his mission. All increase of any kind has a percentage that goes in the mission jar. Loot from this little pixie is no exception.


My little jack-o-lantern starter came in the next morning, grinning like a Cheshire cat, quietly holding 2 one dollar bills. After he could wrap his sleepy brain around his treasure, he humbly said,


"I can't believe the Tooth Fairy gave me TWO DOLLARS! I was only expecting a quarter or something! She must really like me, cause I got TWO DOLLARS!!"


Dang. The Tooth Fairy overpaid. But you got that right, Chase. The Tooth Fairy likes you a whole bunch.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow! A lost tooth. He's so big. And man, that tooth fairy needs to be gracing the Gunnell home. My kids are going to get a penny and be happy about it, dang it!

Lea Ann said...

That is a generous T.F. Just don't forget it on the next one. You will find out how generous guilt makes the T.F. We made the mistake of forgetting one time with Max on one of his first ones and the T.F. gave $5. Ouch!! That sets them up for high expectations. But since that is all the cash we had, what could we do? I try to be more prepared. We also made sure he realized that was unusual for the T.F. and don't expect that much every time. How come lying is bad unless you are convincing your kids about make-believe creatures? Why do we do this to ourselves?

Lea Ann said...

Oh, and you can count on my singing out loud when I go walking. And I won't be able to hear the dogs howling at my beautiful voice. But I probably should find a different neighborhood where no one knows me.

Danielle said...

Remember, Lea Ann, I have always said that if you want to put your salvation in jeopardy...become a parent. I call it "honest dishonesty". It seems to be the only thing that can get you through some sticky situations. Will that put an asterisk by our names when asked if we did the best we can?!?

Enjoy your quartet with the pooches!!

symony said...

I todally agree! I hate loose teeth my neighbor actually pulled out ever one of my teeth! Be excited about many more to come and now the he will expect the tooth fairy to bring $2 for ever teeth! ha ha ha

Birgitta said...

I love it! Great post Danielle! I'm with Leann, we forgot with Alaina's FIRST TOOTH! She got a bunch of money for that one the next night.

Jill gave me a good pointer though...if you forget, and the kid comes running downstairs saying, "mom, mom the tooth fairy didn't leave me any money!" Well, then you secretly grab some money and tell your kid, "I'm sure the TF left you money...you just can't find it...I'll help you look for it" So then you go searching for the money under the pillow, drop the money and say, "SEE, here it is!" GREAT TIP, don't you think?

Kimberly said...

All I can say to that is, it's about time!! He's been giving me the willies with that loose tooth for months! I can't believe it made it from May until now. I bet he was pretty excited he lost a tooth, and got paid some mad-cash. By the way Pepper is CUTE! And appropriately named.

Danielle said...

Ahh, honest dishonesty. Works every time!!

Jessica said...

So my kids get $2.00 for a tooth if there are no cavities in it. If they have a cavity, only $1.00. Its still a lot more than I ever got!