Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Truth Serum

Note the time of this post. Yikes. I want you all to be impressed...nay...very impressed that I am coherent at this hour.

A few days ago, my mom made a post about my dad being so amorous and sweet as he was coming out of anesthesia, spilling niceties for her, and all of the employees within a mile radius of the hospital. While it tugged at our heart strings, it also warmed our heart's cockles.

I have been up with Chase most of the night helping him fight a vigorous fever. When not having vile tasting liquids forced down his throat, this kid is such a sweet sickie. I have been recalling some of his niceties he has tossed out for me when in the depths of his despair...

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you, Mom! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

...rattled on and on and on as I both held the bowl, and cheered him on during a barf fest in the middle of the night some time ago.

"Going up?" "Nope, going down." "Yessssss!!"

...in reference to his temperature as the thermometer beeps from his armpit.

"Are the good guys winning?"

...again in reference to the turkey timer signaling the end of another round in his scorching hot underarm.

"Eeehhh...Ahhhhh...Eeehhh...Ahhhhh...", etc.

...the sounds of both protest (emitted every time I removed the warmed-over cold compress from his forehead) and welcomed relief (when put back, after a dip in ice water).

When finishing this morning's early AM shift as Florence Nightingale, Chase was getting a little over amorous with me. As I bent down to kiss his piping hot cheek, he, in his delirium, kept trying for more kisses. My little sweet pea was getting a little sweet on me.

I am not a big fan of my child suffering from any illness. In the same token, it is always nice to get extended snuggle time with a child who is usually too on the go to slow down to cuddle with his mama. And, I have become a big fan of him oozing his "sickeningly sweet" sweetness. Pun totally intended.

It is a good thing I took a second to hurry and toss out this post. In a while, I am not going to find any of this, or anything else, very funny. I have a feeling that when sleep deprivation hits later on today, I will both loose inability to complete a sentence, and give a crap.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so sorry he is sick, and also very impressed you were coherant at that very early hour. I hate it when my kids are sick, especially the little ones who can't tell you where it hurts. He does sound like a sweetie when sick. My kids, well we will just say they aren't. At all. Good Luck!

Missy said...

Poor little guy! I hope he gets feeling better soon. You are such a good Mom!!!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Great written expression of a sweet little boy, we will pray that he gets well, keep trying to bring that fever down, and keep the faith oh child of mine! :)