Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ode to Bob and Larry




How sad is it that when you are sharing a story from the Bible with your child, and he busts out with, "Oh, yeah! That's like the one Veggie Tales where...blah blah blah."?

How much more sad is it, when trying to make a point...using a Bible story...when met with confusion, that YOU interject a, "You remember that story from Veggie Tales don't you? It's the one where...blah blah blah."?

How sad is it that you can attribute any biblical facts and information retention to Bob, Larry, the French Peas, Junior, Madame Blueberry, Mr. Lunt, and all of the rest of the Veggie Tales crew?

Well, I guess it could be worse. Sponge Bob, Spiderman, and many other fictional characters make far less impressive role models than those adorable fruits and veggies, sans hands and feet. But, I do feel a twinge of guilt when I find myself explaining that in the REAL version, Mr. Nezzbet, the owner of the chocolate factory, is really Nebuchadnezzer, and he wants all of his people to worship a golden image...not eat chocolate. AND, Abed-nego completes the trio with Shadrach and Meshach...not Bennie...with Rack and Shack.

At any rate, I guess I am grateful that there are still SOME good shows for our children to watch. Bob the Tomato ends every show with a moral and encouragement to do good. And, they are quite funny...even if you do get your facts a little mixed up in the end...and get the theme song stuck in your head.


"Veggie Tay-hay-hales, Veggie Tay-hay-hales, Veggie Tay-hay-hales, Veggie Tay-hay-hales..." Argh!!


Come on, people. Please tell me you can relate to this post. I will be a little more than mortified if I come to the realization that no one else has let their homes be infiltrated by singing produce with good values!

7 comments:

Leslie said...

To make you feel better, Kaysen loves Veggie Tales, and I think that they are so funny!

Jessica said...

We love Veggie Tales too. I have a lot of the movies and DVD's if you ever like to borrow them. Abby was very addicted to them when she was little. I love them all, my favorite is the songs in the middle by Larry.

Kathy’s Korner said...

You have to have some point of reference!

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

I don't even own that many,but I know them all and when teaching the 8 year olds a story and they say oh yeah like in veggie tales blah blah blah and I laugh at myself because I knew exactly what they were talking about

Birgitta said...

We don't really watch veggie tales, but we have see a few. I think they are funny...and I think you are funny!

Lea Ann said...

I love them. And I have been disappointed that my boys really don't. But like you said, it could be worse. I would rather them remember things from that show then from some of the shows I find them watching and learning from. And when I hear or see them I think of Steve. He loved Bob and Larry.

Fabulous Fillmores said...

Oh, the way that it sucks you in. My family is constantly quoting "Veggie-Tales"! I can't even say certain words without going into song. I can't say the word "Bunny" w/o starting to sing, "da bunny, da bunny, O I love da bunny." Its a beautiful world.