Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's Contagious

Monday night it snowed. Jeff plum didn't have time to shovel the driveway because he was busy taking care of Chase and I, running a tight ship. The next day, as Chase and I were walking home from preschool, Chase stopped quickly in the snow-filled driveway and said, in a very grown up voice, "Man, I gotta come out and plow the snow." I thought it was pretty cute, but not sure where this new found responsibility had come from. He rushed through lunch, I mean more than he usually does. He disappeared in the laundry room, came out bundled in his coat, dangling a scarf. "A little help, Mom, please", (okay, maybe the editor added the please!) while shaking the scarf for me to tie around his nose and face. I had completely missed his serious intentions to go out and "plow" the snow. I was so ignorant of his impending service that I even asked him, "Where ya going, sport?" He said, in his serious and mature voice, "I have worked to do outside. I'll be back in a minute, 'k?" Seriously, who is this kid?


I had to sneek out and capture a picture of this incredible boy. He worked for a very, very long time, even by adult standards. He was intent on removing any build up of snow. I heard a clang, thunk, rattle-rattle bang in the garage a while later. He simply felt that Dad's dirt shovel would be more effective. This boy did the entire driveway, and then even down the sidewalk. I fought tears watching this beautiful boy doing this incredible service. Turns out, when Chase has been talking to his dad on the phone lately, his dad has been asking him to take care of Mom. Wow. All this time Jeff has been gone in California, I have still had a man in the house. How lucky can one Mom be? I sure love my boys.



I love the randomness of most of his swipes.

6 comments:

Becky Hansen said...

Wow, what a job! Tell him he can come to my house next. Did Jeff tell you we are coming in Feb. for a visit? We are hoping to do dinner with you.

Birgitta said...

LOVE IT! I just love that sweet Chase. Tell him that I am so proud of him for taking care of his mom. Tell him I said the driveway looks incredible (did you show him the pictures of this awesome feat?)!

Woodstock Family said...

Great Job Chase! What a man you are! Danielle, you guys must be doing something right as parents, because you sure are raising an amazing boy! How are you doing without Jeff around?

Danielle said...

Pretty good, Krista. Jeff gets home tonight. Whoot Whoo! It was a very short trip.

Heather said...

Holy cow! that is so awesome.. let's just hope he likes to shovel snow as much when he's 12! :) Chase is practically perfect in every way. A very good kid you have there!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Way to go little man. Glad Jeff is home, take care of him now. I love that Chase did the whole drive way, I like the random also.