Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Child's Prayer

Ah, to have the simple faith and logic of a five-year old. Life would be so much easier if we could all think like a little kid.

Chase has overly developed his fear of the dark. At bedtime, we go through the sad routine of reminding him that he is safe, that we are near, that everything is okay. He had a few nights last week where he would wake up screaming about a bad dream. Now he was really scared to sleep! One night, I did the obvious...I said a prayer with him. He's been hooked ever since. Last night, he called me back, reminding me that I had forgotten to say our "special" prayer. After kneeling by his bed and saying our special prayer, he asked if he could have a turn also. His prayer was one that I wish I could have written down. It was beautiful. But, my favorite part was:

"I am thankful for everything that I have, except for bad dreams."

I am so thankful for faith promoting experiences for small children!

3 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

That really is cute! He is so bright and full of faith. I love tht kid!!!!

Becky Hansen said...

That is great!!! So love that little boy of yours!

Sarah Rowley said...

Ahhhh! Isn't prayer magical? My children all pray the same, "Bless us that we can have good dreams AND NOT have bad dreams." Can't fault them for covering their bases!