Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Little Bit of a Mean Streak

This morning, Chase dropped his toast. You know, the kind of accident where it literally looks like they just let go and let it fall. The kind of accident whose end frustration hinges souly on the item being dropped. I am sitting next to Chase and I all can see is the back of his head. He looks down and gasps and makes some inaudible sounds like, "Wha, it landed, oh uh the wha, how, that's......." He climbs back on the stool, displaying what could possibly be the cutest grin ever painted on a child. He turns to me to show me the incredible feat of his toast landing jam side up, knocks his hand into his glass of watered down cranberry juice, sending it sailing. Short lived victory. What kind of day is it going to be when it starts out with a juicy explosion all over the floor, the bar, his breakfast plate and the five year old? Hopefully, a great one!

I have been in the need of a good laugh. A good roll-on-the-floor, pants-wetting, side-splitting and tear-filled laugh lately. Enough of the sadness, I am ready to laugh!

Yesterday, my sister-in-law and I went to Salt Lake, half for errands for the hubbies and half for us to play. Our last stop was the Children's Discovery Museum at the Gateway Mall. As I sat there watching Chase and his cousins playing, I found great delight at the expense of others. I have a little bit of a mean streak.

First incident: a small child comes skipping across the room with a huge armful of plastic carrots, heading towards the farm to go feed the huge plastic horse, misjudges the distance of the huge wooden tree branch, smacks it, pings off, turns around, runs wailing to mom, still holding the armful of carrots. Saw him later, huge goose egg...still funny.

Second incident: Chase and cousins on museum roof, playing in the real, but fake helicopter. Big red button pushed, sounds of starting helicopter and rumbling engine, three children with panic on faces come spilling out of three different helicopter doors. Mom is no comfort...she is doubled over laughing, trying to not wet her pants.

Third incident: back inside at the ever popular water activity. A tall, Girl Scout chaperone standing near by, dressed to the nines, oozing make-up and piercings, turns to take a step, the heel of her Stiletto stuck in the rubber, water-proof mat. Arms and legs flailing every where as she tries to steady herself. Gets control, looks around cooly to see if any one saw her acting so unperfect, smiles at Mom as she gracefully glides past, Mom sweetly smiling back, proving she does have some scruples...waits to explode in a hysterical fit of giggle after she is around the corner and out of earshot.

So, thank you, world, for making my day. Thank you for giving me something to laugh at. I needed it. I have had even more laughs now because I have laughed while typing them. They are still funny to me! And just so you don't think I am a monster, I do have a rule about laughing at people's unfortunate mishaps. First, you check for broken bones and blood. If there is none, go ahead and laugh. I did. And it felt great!

5 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

Well I am laughing and my eyes are watering, that IS funny.

Kristi said...

A girl after my own heart! I would have been doubled over with you. Ask my kids and they will tell you how many times I have asked them after a trip, stumble, or fall, "hee hee Are you okay? ha ha Where does it hurt honey? hee hee"

Funny funny post

Birgitta said...

I laughed so hard at your helicopter story....VERY FUNNY! I have tears in my eyes...I can just picture chase and the kids scared out of their wits because the helicopter is about to take off!

Becky Hansen said...

I hear you, Matt thinks I am rude because I find things like this funny, I am glad you are getting some laughter in, keep your chin up. I commented on the chicken wings post, make sure you see it.

Anonymous said...

I must have a mean streak, too, because these were SO funny to me. You always crack me up though at the way you describe things!

Ang