Monday, February 8, 2010

Webbles Wobble, But...

I have impeccable timing.

Normal, to a six year old, is pretty relative. I guess normal fits under the umbrella with the mood that your beloved child wakes up with in the morning. Normal can shift with the wind, with who gets to go first, with who has the biggest treat, with who won and who lost. In other words, who really knows what is "normal" to these fabulously unpredictable little people.

Last week could possibly be classified as an abnormal week for a small child. It started with Mom ousting the family pet. It ended with Chase's kindergarten teacher teaching for her last day on Friday. Oh, the resiliency of babes. He has weathered any sadness that may, or may not, have been caused by the parting Pepper. He said a very fond, sincere thank you and goodbye to his wonderful teacher, who he loved. He pulled himself up by the boot straps and mustered up the courage to be happy to go back to school today, thankful that his new teacher is really nice...'cause that's all that matters. What a champ.

Do I over dramatize? Uh, yes! Truthfully, this kid hasn't been phased in the least. It's called Slight of Hand. The Art of Distraction. Good tricks for the trade. Okay, so I am being dramatic yet again. Seriously, kids are amazing. They have such an ability to bounce right back, and pick up where they left off. I was just feeling a little guilty timing it in such a way that both of these events took place at the same time. Just a little.

Webbles wobble, but they don't fall down. Tough as nails, I tell ya. That is, until you bring out an Emory board. Chase and I were sharing a mattress during an overnight stay with my brother and fam. I woke up first, and was filing my nails when Chase woke up. His eyes popped open, blinked a few times to put them in focus, then went WIDE.

"Yeek. I DO NOT like to shave my fingernails. When that thing touches my nails, it makes my nerves nervous!"

We all have our kryptonite, I guess.

5 comments:

Heather said...

You'll be so glad you're writing all his funny sayings down! Sorry there's been so much change last week. It sounds like he's come through it ok though. I'm glad!

Kathy’s Korner said...

What a fabulous post!!!!! Great writing - connections!!!!!!!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

You are an amazing author Danielle. You should write a book. Your insights are insightful and entertaining. See, I'll write your first glowing review and organize the line at your book signing!?! :)

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I should have proofread my own writing...okay, so I am not as articulate as some people. :o

Sarah Rowley said...

I love your writing, too! I realized that good writers must all be more on the dramatic side in order make such ordinary and normal changes in life seem more profound. That goes the same for stand up comic too.