Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mother of the Year

Well, I did it again. I have earned myself some more stripes. I have put myself and all my maternal glory out there...again.

I sold our puppy on Monday. I know. That right there tips the scale in my favor. It was a hard and painful decision to make, and an even harder one to carry out. We really love that dog. And just so it doesn't appear that we have fallen victim to a horribly dramatic act resembling a mid-life crisis, I have to say that this has been in the works for a couple of months. Chase, amazingly, did not shed one tear. I cried the WHOLE time her new family took her to their car. The husband said, "She's going to have a hard time tonight." I cried even harder as I concurred, gushing about how I will miss my nightly routines with Pepper. It wasn't until I was done with my blubber-fest that I noticed the sheepish expression on his face. I didn't have to wonder long about the reason. He hesitantly told me that he had been talking about..the dog. Dang. That spontaneous disclosure will get you every time.

If there is any good news trapped in this monstrous act, Chase took the "band-aid ripping" way better than I did. Like I said, I have been preparing him for this for a while. I reminded him that she was going to be very well taken care of, very happy, and very loved. He was even further relieved when asking me if we had had Pepper sealed to us, that I was able to answer no.

Chase took great comfort in the fact that she was going to a good home. I think I actually may have done too good of a job building up her new family. That night, in his prayers, Chase blessed Pepper and expressed his gratitude that her new family was going to be good to her. There was a painfully long pause before he added, "We are a good family, too...kinda." I'm racking up the points, aren't I. That was a good place for me to insert a good pep talk and a big hug. Sigh.

It's a good thing that children as resilient as they are. This parenting stuff is such a crap-shoot. I am sure it won't take long until I am at it again.

I do have to mention that I am back in my favorite son's good graces again. Already this week, he has told me how glad he is that I am home, I am the best cook ever, I am beautiful, and he his so happy for me now that my tummy is as small as his . I just hope he is this kind and forgiving when he is in therapy. Poor kid.

5 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

"This parenting stuff is such a crap-shoot." Couldn't have described it better! Perfect way of seeing it, Danielle!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Cuddos to parenting well done!!!!!

Heather said...

Sorry you had to sell Pepper :( That does stink but for what it's worth I think it was a good decision. I hope she will be well taken care of.

Chase is such a sweetheart. He loves you so much and it goes without saying how much you love him. I think you are a terrific mother! Way to handle things and I guess we'll be seeing you again this weekend! whoo hoo!

Birgitta said...

Parenting is a crap shoot! Hey, you could always try a hamster...or, you know, get another froggy!

Kristi said...

"We are a good family, too...kinda." I laughed out loud when I read this. You are a good family and not just kinda! Good job on giving up the pup. I'm sure it was very hard. Chase is so cute! I love his perspective on life.