Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mother's Dictionary

Have you ever found yourself translating the words of your children for others? After all, you live with these tykes 24/7. You come to find that you can speak Kidese almost fluently.

Oddly enough, I have found myself translating my son's speak to my husband. I guess being home all day gives me an advantage.

But, who gets to translate for me? I am NEARLY fluent in Kidese, but have to admit there are times when I draw a blank. There are times when I have no idea what my son is saying. He is almost 6, so it's not goo-goo and gaa-gaa that get me flummoxed. It's the pronunciation of every day words that gets me tied up.

Last night's car ride home was really one for my journal. My cute little jabber box was in high gear last night. It would have suited me well to have sat there with a pencil and paper, jotting down his every word, recognizable or not.

It all started with him trying to remember where he got a particular Halloween candy from. He has the memory of an elephant, so I knew it would only be a matter of time before it would come to him;

"Oh, yeah! Now I remember where I got my box of Milk Buds! From that house where the guy was making stones!"

Brian Larsen was passing out Milk Duds, and scones.

Other translatables:


rock-a-mole - guacamole

reneckenize - recognize

brawn medal - bronze medal, more specifically, what he calls a penny

amonia - pneumonia

bad nuts - coffee beans


Is it wrong of me to hope that he never figures out how to say these words correctly? I like them just the way they are.

2 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

I know, they are so cute

Birgitta said...

I have some good ones that zach use to use

chrissy lights - christmas lights

fuddy guck - fire truck

inatendo - nintendo

inacuz - because

camperbus - motor home/trailer