Monday, November 16, 2009

Are You Smarter Than A Kindergartener?

Chase has fallen in love with writing, followed closely by reading. He is constantly looking for the second mile to go when doing his homework...for now...at least.

For one assignment, Chase wrote the word "pig", complete with the little smiley-thingy above the "i", indicating the "i" makes a short sound. Chase was sure proud of himself when he showed me. He announced,

"Look, Mom! I even drew my breev!"

Chase often misplaces the "th" sound with a "v" sound, so I thought he was telling me that he wrote the verb breathe.

"How do you draw a "breathe", Chase?"

"No, BREEV."

"Yeah, how do you draw a "breathe?"

"No. B-R-E-V-E (pointing to the smile over the "i"). This is a breve, Mom. This. A breve. This is a breve."

Oh. Well, how was I supposed to know that, Mr. Smarty-Pants? I'm not the one in school.


On another page of his homework, he was to write words that he could find around the house that started with the letter "M". To make it more fun, I followed him around the house with a pencil and paper, scribing the words for him first. With all ten words found, he sat down and began to write the words on his homework, using my words for spelling. He came to a word that he couldn't read.

"Mom, what does this say?"

"Monster".

"THAT is an 'r'? You know better than to make an 'r' like that! I can't even read that!"

Uh, excuse me?

We are just at the beginning here. It's not looking good for me for here on out.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

That is so funny, Abby started doing that to when she was learning. I am afraid 2nd grade is going to do me in, and then with 2 in school its going to finish me off!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Ya just have to chuckle! He is smart and will out smart you some day. When that time came for me, I had to say, "you might be smarter tnat I am, but I am wiser!" (humbling, huh?)

Birgitta said...

He is a smart kid - and funny!

Birgitta said...

oh my favorite is when Zach asks me how to spell something and I tell him and he says, "na ah, that's not how you spell...."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Heather said...

He really is so hilarious, and smart as all have said. I do love reading your posts (even if you don't think I do :)

LOVE the candy counter idea.. that is such a great idea!