Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'm FREEEEEE!

One can only imagine the frustration of an energized little boy who is forced to have his hands bound. Still, I have not heard one word of complaint from little Job in the 2 weeks he has had to endure this torture.


One night, I unwrapped them for the twice daily ritual of unwrapping, cleaning, inspecting, salving and re wrapping. I felt pleased enough with what I saw, so I told Chase I thought I would leave them off for the night.


Chase stared in amazement at the new gift that had just been handed to him. His eyes grew large as he turned his hands over and over, flexing and unflexing his fledgling appendages. He raised both hands over his head and shouted triumphantly,


"I feel like I have my hands back! My hands feel like...FREEDOM!!"

Tomorrow, we wrap his hands for the last time. We are going naked! Whoot whoot! Chase is both excited and a little apprehensive. Last night, we gave his nude hands a trial run out in public...where the germs are...with new, pink skin. Shudder, shudder. We were halfway across town before I realized that this bub was still not buckled in his seat belt. He had been silently stuggling with the latch for at least 5 minutes. When I asked him what the deal was and would he please get buckled, he said,

"I am too used to my wraps. I can't buckle my seat belt without my hands wrapped. (big sigh) I miss my wraps."

You will soon get over it, my dramatic one! And by the way, you have endured this well, Chase. We are proud of you!

3 comments:

Birgitta said...

Poor little bubba....

Jessica said...

I can only imagine how hard it was for a 5 year old to not have the use of his hands. It sounds like he was quite the trooper! Yeah for freedom!

Kristi said...

Hooray! Such a sweet little guy!