Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Are You Wearing Egg Today?

We have all had moments where we end up eating our words. It is usually not a pleasant experience, seeing that it generally hits you square in your pride...which happens to be a highly sensitive area.


If you're lucky, your infraction goes unnoticed. For example, I was painfully awakened, the other morning, from a fabulous sleep, by the obnoxious barking of the neighbor's dog. As I grumpily staggered into the bathroom, I threw a glance out the window, only to see that it was MY dog that was yapping. I didn't even know she could bark. After a quick reprimand, she whimpered away and I triumphantly plopped back on my bed. No hurt pride there.


Most of the time, however, we are not that lucky.


With way too much time being home bound during the last few weeks, Chase and I had a lot of extended time together. Sometimes that's good. Sometimes, it does not bode well for either of us. After an abnormally bad day last week, seemingly full of spills and plops and falls and drops, I had had enough. When I plunked Chase's juice in front of him, I left it with a loving threat of hard labor, dismemberment, and long-term imprisonment, if a spill should happen to occur.


A few hours later, I was privileged to find out what a mature fellow my soon-to-be 6 year old son has become. He said not ONE triumphant word while on his hands and knees, helping me mop up the near 2 liter bottle of sticky Sprite I spilled all over my kitchen.


His eyes, on the other hand, burned VOLUMES in my general direction. The phrase that seemed to come in crystal clear to me was,

"Huh. Mom, you got a little egg on your face. I think the yolk sets off your eyes."

Me? No, I am not that mature. After the sugary lacquer was sopped into the towels, I huffed with a dramatic self-pitied flare while standing at the sink. Mr. I'm-Just-So-Glad-It-Wasn't-Me finally found the right words of encouragement for his poor mom;

"Mom, you said that bad word ag......"

"I don't care!" I firmly interrupted. "I meant it!"

Nice one, Mom. Really mature.

Here's to meltdowns!

3 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

Egg, oh yes, that smarts!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

How funny. Especially the egg yolk eyes. It wouldn't be motherhood without eggs would it?

Traci said...

Very clever post. You are a terrific writer! I can so relate to those meltdowns. Your little one sounds simply adorable...funny too!