Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Preview of Greatness

Well, I did it again. I took another stab at another birthday cake. I am getting braver in my old age.

But this time? This time...I out did myself. There will be no modest humility here. Nope. I am quite proud of this cake. This is some serious birthday cake. I used fondant, for crying out loud. It takes some seriously dedicated nerves of steel to make and use fondant. Yup, that's me. Nerves of steel. giggle giggle giggle

So, go ahead and tell me how wonderful it is. I can take it.

And, go ahead and be extra impressed that the "planets" are in the right order. That is, if you could tell what planets they are. Okay, I take that back. Don't scrutenize. Just be impressed!



Note the purplish-grey nebulas. They are appropriately
placed to hide the tears in the fondant.



Note the adorable mop-top birthday boy. He was pretty excited about his day. That is, until SuperMom demoted herself to JustPlainMom by announcing that Mom was going to be giving him a haircut before school. She is not nearly as talented as the girls that spoil him at Great Clips. Just a lot cheaper.

Birthday post still to come. I have decided to do Chase's birthday bash in segments. I have been told that my posts are painfully long. Ouch.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness, Danielle, that cake is utterly amazing. And I'm not just saying that. Where on earth did you come up with that idea? Please don't tell me Chase knows all the planet's names or else I'm enrolling Jackson and Walker in night school.

Seriously amazing cake. Fondant is TOUGH (in my opinion) and you did a stellar job. So cool! Oh, and I love your long posts.

Danielle said...

Mel, nice job on all of the galaxy puns there!

Don't freak out here. But, yes, Chase does know the plantets. ONLY because he has had an obsession with them since he was two. I have an adorable video of him naming the planets with just a clue of their color or function.

The cake idea is a compilation of two different cakes found on the internet, and from a puzzle downstairs in our toy room.

And by the way, THANKS! It means a lot to me that the guru of all things yummy, beautiful, and fabulous...likes my cake!

Birgitta said...

Pretty amazing cake! I have never worked with fondant myself...too scary!

Kimberly said...

That is an awesome cake. It's perfect for little Einstein who's always loved planets.

Jessica said...

I am very impressed with your cake! I too love your posts, and think that they are not long enough! Happy Birthday Chase!!!!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Yes, yes, very impressive cake!!! Chase is a lucky boy to have you for him mom, even though you had to cut his hair on hid Birthday. Mom's never get the popularity vote for hair cuts, ask me! LOL

Heather said...

WOW.. muy impressive! The colors are so rich and pretty! How did it taste? :) I'm glad Chase got such a perfect cake for his out of this world birthday party.. get it? get it? hahahahaha.

Glad he had such an awesome birthday!

Danielle said...

Got it!

How did it taste? Kinda like it took a lot of food coloring to get all of those vibrant colors. Sigh. Still a beginniner!

erik said...

Looks yummy!!

I'm glad you left Pluto in there, even though some people don't count it as a full planet anymore. The man who discovered it (Clyde Tombaugh) graduated from KU, so in Kansas there will always be nine planets!

JaNae said...

Looks great! Honestly, I think the thing I am most impressed with is the colors. How did you get the sun to be such a great blend of yellow and orange? Hope you guys had fun!