Friday, December 11, 2009

Out of This World, Out of My Mind, Out of Control, With a Whole Lot of Love

The theme that we chose for Chase's b-day this year was Outer Space. I only tell you that in case you missed the not-so-subtle hint from my last post. Chase has always had a passion for the planets and all things stellar. It seemed such a perfect way to celebrate his special day.



So, the "out of my mind" bit? We invited 16 guests. I was not the least bit worried about it. We have had some not-so-hot luck with his parties in years past. Less than 50% of those invited are able to come. Wouldn't you know it. Not this year. Yikes! It was a little crazy, to say the least. Fitting, though. My house was filled with all sorts of aliens for the better part of two hours.




The aliens lined up in the hallway, waiting to have a whack at the rocket filled with goodies.




Opening the loot. At first, I didn't even give this aspect a second thought. A lot of guests equals a lot of gifts. Gulp. That was a lot of toys.




Chase and I decorated the "space station" with Styrofoam ball planets, painted by Chase, and Cheerio moons, painted by Mom. We spare no expense here.




Dad made "Bob" for Chase's newly made-over room. "Bob" looked way different in my mind when Jeff said he was making Chase a "homemade" birthday gift this year. I should have remembered that while my medium is toilet paper rolls and Elmer's glue, Jeff's might be a little more upscale. All he got from me was a pillow and pillow case. Nice, Mom.

So what is so out of control? Six years, people. How is my baby six years old? It both thrills me, and breaks my heart. I want time to slow down. I want my baby to stay my baby forever. I want him to stay in my safe bubble forever. But, in the same token, it is so amazing to watch him grow. He is such spectacular boy. I just want to eat him. He is funny, sweet, smart, kind, and full of surprises. I am soooooo glad that I get to be his mom. Every day is an adventure with this sweet pea.

He lives life with gusto. All day on his b-day, he would snap back into reality and say, "I'm a birthday boy today! I can't believe today is my birthday!"

Funny side note. After Chase opened his first gift from one of his best buddies of 5 and a half years, I quietly prompted Chase by asking, "What do you say, Chase?" Chase stood frozen while staring at his newly opened treasure. He was finally able to eek out a,

"Oh, Tayden, I LOVE you!"

I was actually thinking a simple thank you would have been sufficient. Whatever works for you, buddy.

It is with a whole lot of love, that I say, "Well, done, Chase!" We sure love you, Son, and are so proud of you. We are in awe of the amazing person that you are. We can't wait to see what the next 6 years will bring!

4 comments:

Birgitta said...

Looks like a fun and chaotic party! Bob is pretty amazing...as I'm sure so is your pillow and pillow cases!

Happy Birthday Buddy!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Awesome post, Chase is a sweet busy boy. That party looks so fun! Great cake, great robot! Where is the pillow case?

Danielle said...

In his hands...still in the plastic. Oh, I am not giving myself nearly enough credit. He also got a solar system calendar. Went all out.

Heather said...

That was a very fun and sweet post. I can't believe that party!! that was insane.. in a good way :)

I totally agree that it looks like your house is full of aliens :) What an unforgettable party!

I just love Chase so much, he is all those things you said and more. I am so proud to be his aunt and to have him in my life. I'm glad you gave him such an amazing birthday.

So.. the dark blue in his room is new right??