Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Do You Hear What I Hear?

A few weeks ago, I surfed onto the Oprah show at about 1 AM. Obviously, I was suffering from an unfortunate bout with insomnia. Not because I have to be tired out of my mind to be coerced into watching Oprah, but more for the fact that the pickin's start slimming after 12 AM.

I took pause from my mindless channel surfing long enough to listen to a very interesting author give an audience member some very interesting advice. Oprah's audience member wanted to know why she always wanted to overeat. The golden question of the century, I would think.

This author reminded the inquirer that she needed to listen to her body. What is her body trying to say if she were to listen? Is she full? Does she really want to eat another helping, or is she satisfied? Does she like how she feels right this very second, or does she want to risk feeling like crap after stuffing one more helping down the hatch? Is she really hungry, or just bored?

Very interesting questions, I thought to my temporarily interested self. If I were to listen carefully, what would I be hearing my body say?

So, as I sleepily began my day "later" that morning, I cranked up the hearing aids and began "listening" to my bod.


My body told me to eat a bag of chocolate chips, after it told me I was too tired to exercise.


Dang. I have a very bossy body.

2 comments:

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

MY BODY DOESN'T JUST TELL ME ANYMORE...IT SCREAMS...STOP & GET OFF THE TREADMILL...YOU'RE KILLING ME!!! lol I love this post...I actually think that listening to your body gets us in ALL kinds of trouble!!! :)

Birgitta said...

I don't listen either! I ate this weekend like the world was coming to an end.