Saturday, January 9, 2010

Nice Buns

For quite some time now, I have been wanting to post a picture of my very nice buns. These buns were for Jeff's butt. I am pretty proud of my buns. My buns and Jeff's butt were pretty awesome.

































Was that enough word play for you? Let me translate.

For Christmas, Jeff wanted to smoke a pork butt. They are not cheap. So, it was decided that this slab of meat would account for one of Jeff's Christmas presents. It wasn't until Christmas afternoon that I realized that I had forgotten to purchase sandwich buns to eat our pulled pork bbque sandwiches with. So, being the clever soul that I am, I decided to make my own. I used my sister-in-laws roll recipe, and just made REALLY BIG ROLLS. They worked. And, they worked very yummily, too, I might add.

While downloading this picture of my buns, I have come to realize that I have completely skipped our holiday festivities. Well, if we are being completely honest here...there were not THAT many festivities. Every so often, one seems to have a year where Christmas comes so quickly, it seems to catch that someone off guard. Christmas day came and I found myself resigning to the fact that most of our traditions were missed, for some reason or another!

So, here is a quick run down of our Christmas 2009. Don't blink. You may miss something. It's that quick:




Waiting to be picked up by the wagon, to see the live nativity in Nibley. A great new tradition that we managed to salvage.



A Santa-shy boy whispering his Christmas wish to someone he was so sure was not the real guy. And speaking of which, it's a good thing that our tradition of writing letters to Santa was extremely late in the season. Chase had a sudden and last minute change of mind on what he was going to be asking him for, causing great last minute panic from Santa's "helper".





The tradition of opening new pajamas on Christmas Eve managed to stay in tact. It was just extra fun this year. We did it at our fabulous friends, the Buck's, after a fun night of playing games, and last minute gingerbread houses. The Buck's had already done their houses for the season. They were just nice enough to do them again for us, the slackers.




And of course, the tradition of presents. What kind of schmucks would we be if we missed that one. I do hope that this photo represents a new tradition in fabulous reactions when opening a present so AWESOME, that it knocks the poor recipient to the ground. The gift? A moon night light that hangs on the wall, complete with a remote that changes the phases of said moon. I think Chase liked it. A lot.

Well, that's it. That was our Christmas. It really was a great Christmas. It just seemed to go by in a blur! The missed tradition I lament the most? Listening to my dad read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever". Oh, man, I missed my parents for Christmas this year.

I wish I could say that 2010 is going to represent a nice, slower pace...maybe allowing us a little more time to stop and smell the roses. After this first week, however, a slow pace is looking rather grim.

Happy Belated New Year, Everyone!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Hi Danielle, I can so relate to your post! We almost missed Christmas too. It really looked like santa missed our house! I love Chase's reaction to the moon light, I think I would have reacted the same! I look for thmoon every day!
Love,Cynthia

Kathy’s Korner said...

Do you have the CD of dad reading the Best Christmas Pageant Ever? Erik recorded it and either he or Seth made a CD. Some of the kids listen to it is segments because it is so long.

Birgitta said...

You have some lovely buns Danielle...AND I look forward to the next time I can eat Jeff's butt! :)