Friday, January 8, 2010

Cutest Little Peanut

If a semi-regular blogger takes a sudden and inexplicable leave of absence, it should be for a pretty good reason, right? Well, I have one. And he's pretty adorable.

For the past week, I have had the fabulous privilege of being with my sister, Heather, as she and her husband, Kirk, welcomed their first little baby boy. I stood proxy for our Mom, who is diligently working at the side of Dad, who is in the hospital recovering from major surgery. It was hard for Grandma to miss this much-anticipated event, so I took my charge very seriously. I think?!

Things are all abuzz at their house, obviously. It is a glorious thing, in and of itself, to watch a couple's struggle with infertility, come to a blissful end through the miracle of adoption. But, add to this, the joyful fact that Heather's pregnancy is adding Baby Number Two to their family in a few more months? Well, you end up with excitement oozing out of every pore of everyone who comes in contact with them. When it rains, it pours. Raining babies is not such a bad thing (unless you think about the fact that you may not get any sleep for the next several years!), I would think!

It made me a little teary to get to be involved. They woke up on Saturday, ate a warm breakfast, got gussied up, walked out their door, and left 5 years of babyless sadness behind. When they walked back in, hours later, they were parents. As they walked up the stairs with their little peanut, it pretty awesome! I must say, I love modern technology, when it comes to stuff like this. We set Kirk's lap top at the top of the stairs, so Grandma and Grandpa could "be there" via Skype, as they walked in with their new bundle.



The new little family



Mom and Dad, with their new addition. Notice, the "addition" of the bags under Kirk's eyes. And, yes, the smiles!




This little peanut is seriously the tiniest peanut I have ever seen! He was less than 5 pounds when they brought him home. He is so adorable and sweet, it made my ovaries hurt!




Could you just eat him?! He is the most amazing baby.





Huh, look at that. Seems I have the same bags under my eyes. And apparently, bags under my chin, as well. Can't really blame those on Jack, I guess.
Looking at all of these pictures makes me miss that baby so much. I would even do my 2 am bottle shift again just to get to hold him and smell him and nibble on his neck. I asked his mommy if I could just take him home in my purse. Is that just a little selfish that she said no?
Anyway, thanks for letting me be the substitute helper during such a special event. I am no replacement for Mom/Grandma, but I loved it nonetheless!
Congratulations, Heather and Kirk! I love you, Jack-Jack!!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh, I can't stand it! I really can't. I just can't believe they have that little baby in their family. I'm so glad you played proxy for your mom - what a neat and exhausting week! What a tiny little bean sprout he is. Oh, I just can't take it...how special this all must be.

By the way, did you really just say your ovaries hurt? Oh my, you crack me up.

The Strawn Family said...

So cute! CONGRATULATIONS to them :)

Kimberly said...

I'm so glad you got to be there. Heather said you came and conquered. That's truly an amazing gift! I can't wait to meet him.

Kathy’s Korner said...

A picture is worth a thousand words. What a cutie. I love the one of the them coming up the stairs, and the one with his face resting on his cheek. It is hard to imagine how little he is! Thanks for the glymps

Heather said...

Oh how fun, SUCH cute pictures you got.. I didn't see those!

You were amazing Danielle. I'm so grateful you were able to be here. Thank you for all you did to make it special for us and to help us keep our heads above the water!! You helped so much and it was so fun to have you here!

Jack Jack is so special isn't he??? He's just the cutest ever. He misses you too!

Jessica said...

So cute, congratulations to the family. It may be a busy few years for them, but I can imagine they wouldn't change it for anything!