Saturday, September 8, 2012

Here's To You, Mary Lou



I have been thinking a lot about my aunt, Mary Lou, for a while now.  She was an amazing lady. 
 
Seriously.
 
She was one of those people you couldn't get enough of.  She was so good, and made you want to be good.  She was so sweet, and nice.
 
All the time.
 
This is one time that a blanket statement actually works.
 
All the time.
 
When asked how she was able to  maintain such a demeanor all of the time, she simply stated that she tried to always act like there was a camera on her, at all times.
 
Pretty simple explanation from such an extraordinary woman.
 
I have always wished that I was more like her.  I would have a long way to go just to be in the same arena with her.  She truly was amazing.
 
About a year ago, Jeff and I went to some friend's house for dinner.  They had invited other friends to their home as well.  Upon arrival, I noticed that the wife of the other friend invited was a plain, ordinary looking woman.  She was under dressed.  My fleeting thought (and this is horrible) was that she would not be someone that I was going to remember as remarkable, or anything.
 
As soon as she opened her mouth, I was proven wrong.
 
As we were being introduced, she shook my hand firmly, looked me square in the eyes, and said sincerely,
 
"You are so beautiful.  What a stunning woman you are."
 
I wanted to hug her.  I AM pretty sure that I followed her around for the rest of the evening, hanging anxiously on every word that she uttered. In one moment, I found myself wishing that I was more like this woman that I had only moments ago thought so unremarkable.
 
What a talent these women possess.  How would it be to have seemingly mastered the ability to be so Christ-like to everyone you meet. I mean, seriously.
 
I have a LONG way to go, Baby!
 
I would like to think that I have grown up some, since being a little girl.  I would even like to think that I have gained a certain amount of wisdom, and even more of an ability to become more like these women.  I have also, and unfortunately, become a little cynical and pessimistic.  It has been my experience that if someone can shaft you, they will. If someone can be dishonest, they will.
 
Mean people stink.
 
I digress.
 
So, here's to you, Mary Lou, and the other woman whose name I can't remember.  Thank you for showing me a higher road.  Thank you for showing me that no matter and what, and with no matter who...there is a better way. The world is a more beautiful place because of women like you.
 
We are truly lucky that people like you get to live with people like us.
 


1 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

Sweet sweet post. Yes Mary Lou was awesome ALL the time. I can not think of one negative thing about her! You are pretty awesome yourself, give you some credit!