Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Pearls of Wisdom

Over the years, I feel that I have received a lot of really good tips, advice and pearls of wisdom that have helped me live a generally productive and happy life. Some great ones are:

Cleaning a caked-on microwave: Cook a bowl of water in microwave for 3-4 minutes, everything then just slides right off.

Hard water stains: Vinegar is a miracle cure for hard water, including running washing machine and dishwasher, empty, with one cup of vinegar.

Making friends for life: take someone a loaf of hot, homemade bread

Down in the dumps: get more sleep, increase the intensity of your prayers, read your scriptures.

I could go on an on. I have had some really smart people in my life. I have decided now, that it is my turn to impart my wisdom; to share my wealth of knowledge that I have accumulated with life experiences and mistakes made. So, here are my tips for you.

How to bump into someone you haven't seen for a long time: Go to the store without makeup, a wet, frumpy hair-do, while wearing the most ill-fitting dirty clothes you can find.

How to increase your vocabulary: Learn a new word today. It is almost guaranteed that you will hear this new word that you have never heard before several times over the next several days.

How to enjoy the taste of crow: use blanket statements like "I always" and " I never".

How to ensure a great Sabbath (aside from the obvious): Make sure you have lots of chocolate, milk, toilet paper...and a good nap.

How to attract visitors to your home: Don't clean for several days. Wait until you have an explosion of toys, laundry, groceries and projects. Then, they will come.

How to ensure you have no visitors: Clean your house.

How to give your children hope for the future: Give them phrases like, "Don't worry son. When you grow up, you can be the hypocrite. But for now, it's my turn."

How to learn to love a photo of you that you can't stand: Gain a few more pounds, return to the photo, then hear yourself say, "Wow, I wish I looked that good again!"

Passing Gas: It is greatly suggested that you do not try and eek one out in the presence of a child. They have big ears and highly under developed filters, which allow them to say anything that they want, very loudly. Your "infraction" will no longer be a secret.

And finally:

Learn to laugh at yourself. It makes it so much easier when you find out that we are all laughing at you as well.

I hope you all feel enlightened, encouraged, and hopefully even a little smarter. Please feel free to pass along your little gems!

9 comments:

Lea Ann said...

Can I just say how much I love you? I appreciate and experience your wisdom and you always make me laugh. And I never laugh at you, just with you.

Danielle said...

Love you, too!! And it's okay...you can laugh at me, and with me!

Sarah Rowley said...

Thanks for your wisdom, but unfortunately I think I have already experienced all of those same lessons and learned. Except for the passing gas one. That one is unique.

Birgitta said...

You make me laugh Danielle! Those are some great tips - I love reading all about your life experiences. Hey, you taught me the water microwave trick! :)

Did you read my last comment (on your last post) on how to take off Pyzam??

Kimberly said...

Very good advise! We must have the same mother because we know some the the same tricks.

Kathy’s Korner said...

Oh Danielle, I love it when that great woman that you are comes shining through. You sound so wise!!!! I sure do love you!

Becky Hansen said...

Great Advice, I will have to try the microwave thing, I have never heard that one before. You totally crack me up!!! I miss you! We sent a card in the mail for chaser, sure hope he likes it, and has a happy birthday.

Heather said...

Wow very nice.. I guess I never knew that vinegar trick. and cleaning the microwave.. GENIUS!

You are a wise woman and I think you are getting more wise all the time! You know how we feel about blanket statements at our house.

Kirk has really taught me to laugh at myself.. and it feels so much better than being T-O'd all the time :) It's hard to swallow that Perrins Pride.. but it's so worth it huh?

You forgot one though. How to have a room full of instant company- wait till you've been alone for 10 minutes, pass gas, then watch them line up!! :)

Danielle said...

Good one, Heather! Why does that always happen! Well, you know me, I am one that loves bodily function stories and humor. I may be getting wiser, but I am definitely not getting more mature. And yes, the blanket statement tip was a shout out to you!!