Thursday, June 10, 2010

You Are Only As Old As You Feel...

...or at least as old as you remember you are.

I was recently forced to celebrate a birthday. I have not been what you would call "gracious" about having to become "this age". This "f-word" birthday has not been such an easy pill to swallow. Thanks again, to all of you well-wishers and condolence-offerers. Your sympathy is much appreciated. I especially want to thank the one who felt the need to bestow Icy Hot and Colon Cleanser upon me. THAT'S going to help the cause. Not going to make me feel old...at all. And just to show you what a good sport I am, I am going to USE the colon cleanser. Ha! How do you feel about THAT!?

My fabulous, six and a half year old son was right beside me, showing me his undying support on my day of grief. It also happened to be his half-birthday. To commemorate the blessed event, he ate six and a half pancakes. I ate...three.

To further show his firm grasp on my reality, my handsome son gave me some sound advice. During the car ride to his baseball game tonight, he exclaimed,

"Oh, my gosh! I TOTALLY forgot you are f**** today! I can't believe it! Can you believe it?"

I tried to summon my mature f**** year old side to respond. I couldn't find her. Instead, I whined and replied,

"No! It KILLS me to even think about being f****!"

My wise-one replied,

"Well then...don't. Okay? Just don't THINK about being f****. Maybe that will make you feel better. Okay?"

Okay, Son. Works for me. And maybe I can get the reverse to work while I'm at it.

I'm only 28...I'm only 28...I'm only 28...I'm only 28

5 comments:

Birgitta said...

That was so hard to read without swearing in my head!

Happy Birthday Danielle! Birthdays are the best! What's one more year?! You only get smarter!! Love ya!!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a good day with your family, and you only look 28!

Melanie said...

Uh, sorry about totally forgetting the big day but by the tone of your post, perhaps that was for the best.

Happy birthday, anyway. Except, don't think about it anymore.

hennchix said...

happy unbirthday! Believe me, the f....'s aren't that bad- for one thing, the intimate side of life gets better!! Oh my gosh! I can't believe I just wrote that!!

PS- my word verification is catorpla- you are a catorpillar morphing into a beautiful butterfly; enjoy the journey!

Heather said...

Ha! I had the same problem as Birgitta! Happy Birthday again.. Just embrace the f**** in you!!